Read More Here!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

To My Father...

Today is the birthday of someone very special to me...my dad. He has to work late tonight-won't be home until 8:30-so our official celebration will be tomorrow (with an entirely homemade Chinese dinner, complements of my mom!). I spent the afternoon baking a chocolate cake for him, though, and I just got back from getting his present.


I was really at a loss about what to get him this year. My dad is the hardest person to buy for-I always want to get him something out of the ordinary, something he would never buy himself, but he doesn't want anything like that. He likes practical things, to help him around the house, and I'm not good at choosing gifts like that. So, I biked up to our neighbors house, and walked around one of their several fields. As I walked, I picked wildflowers....black eyed susan's, daisies, queen anne's lace, and other small yellow and white flowers that are unknown to me. The result was a very lovely bouquet, so delicate and small, and yet wild and rugged. As I biked home, I couldn't help feeling very Victorian era, in my floral bathing suit top, on our dirt road, with a hand-picked bouquet in my hand, ready to give it to someone very close to me. Once home, I trimmed the stems and placed the flowers in a little pitcher, with some sugar water. 

People don't usually think of flowers when they want a gift for a guy; my dad certainly doesn't look like the type who'd enjoy flowers. But, there's something so genuine, so simple, and so right about that bouquet. I certainly hope my dad likes it.

Dad-

Happy Birthday! I love you so much. Sometimes we disagree, but I want you to know that you'll always have a special place in my heart. You've taught me to laugh at myself, to work hard, and to try my hardest even when there are other things I'd rather be doing. You work so hard to take care of all of us; we really appreciate everything you do. You set a great example, and someday I hope to be as steadfast as you. Have an awesome birthday.

With love,

Your daughter,

~Gillian

No comments:

Post a Comment