Read More Here!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Language of Flowers

While walking around the gift shop of Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts a couple of months ago, I found an adorable little book called The Language of Flowers. It's a reproduction of the same book published in London, 1884.
Sturbridge Village

Any flower can brighten up a space and add a certain mood to it. I strongly encourage that there be some plants in your room, whether they be potted, store-bought bouquets or a couple of wildflowers. I will say, however, that picking your own bouquets from roadsides and gardens is very romantic. Plus, it allows you to tell a story, in your own little code, about what you're feeling. Giving gifts of flowers that tell a message is also great fun..

So, here I will provide a list of some flowers and their meanings. I've tried to include ones that will be fairly easy to find and identify up here in New England. 


American Elm.........patriotism
Apple........temptation
Apple Blossom........preference
Apple Thorn....... deceitful charms
Ash Tree......grandeur
Azalea.......temperance
Basil.......hatred
Birch.......meekness
Bluebell......constancy
Buttercup......ingratitude, childishness
Cabbage......profit
Carnation, Deep Red......Alas! For my poor heart
Carnation, Striped.....refusal
Carnation, Yellow.......disdain
Cherry Tree........good education
Cherry Tree, White......deception
Chrysanthemum, Red........I love
Chrysanthemum, White.......truth
Chrysanthemum, yellow........slighted love
Clover, Four-Leafed.......be mine
Clover, Red......industry
Clover, White......think of me
Columbine...... folly
Columbine, Purple.....resolved to win
Columbine, Red.....anxious and trembling
Cranberry.....cure for heartache
Daffodil.........regard
Dahlia........instability
Daisy, Garden......I share your sentiments
Daisy, Wild........I will think of it
Dandelion.........rustic oracle
Fern........fascination
Forget Me Not.......true love; forget me  not
Goldenrod......precaution
Gooseberry.......anticipation
Holly.......foresight
Hemlock.......you will be my death
Hollyhock.........ambition
Iris......message
Ivy.........fidelity, marriage
Lady's Slipper......capricious beauty. win me and wear me
Lavender..........distrust
Lettuce.......cold-heartedness
Lilac, Purple.......first emotions of love
Lilac, White........Youthful Innocence
Lily, Day.......coquetry
Lily of the Valley......return of happiness
Maple.......reserve
Marigold........grief
Mistletoe......I surmount difficulties
Myrtle.......love
Mushroom......suspicion
Mustard Seed......indifference
Nettle, Stinging........slander
Oak Tree.......hospitality
Oak Leaves.......bravery
Pansy..........thoughts
Peach........your qualities, like your charms, are unequaled
Peach Blossom.......I am yours
Primrose......early youth
Rose, Bridal......happy love
Rose, Cabbage.......ambassador of love
Rose, Deep Red......bashful shame
Rose, white......I am worthy of you
Rose, yellow........decrease of love, jealousy
Rose, white and red together......unity
Rosebud, red......pure and lovely
Rosebud, white.......girlhood
Rosemary.......remembrance
Sunflower, Dwarf.......admiration
Sunflower, Tall.......haughtiness
Tulip......fame
Tulip, Red....... declaration of love
Tulip, Variegated......beautiful eyes
Tulip, Yellow.......hopeless love
Water Lily.......purity of heart
Zinnia......thoughts of absent friends

Hope that this has inspired you to get some creative arrangements together! Just have fun with it....that's what summer's all about! To help get you started, here are some fun messages you can try to fit some fun feelings and situations:

Reflecting after looking at old photographs: Zinnia, Water Lily, White Rosebud, White Clover- Thinking of friends from my girlhood, our innocent antics and dreams. I wonder if they remember me.

To burst your confidence and inspire you: Oak Leaves, Red Clover, Purple Columbine, Hollyhock, Mistletoe- I am independent, I am resourceful, I have dreams and I will overcome hindrances. My ambition and my hard work will win me the race. I will reach my goals.

An unusual gift for a friend: Dwarf Sunflower, Iris- I admire you. Yes; this is meant to be a message.

An adorable wedding bouquet:Peach Blossom, Red Rosebud, Red and White Roses, Ivy: You are the only one for me. We shall be one. In our youth we shall, together, build a life of dreams and love.

A gift for a young beau: Primrose, Purple Lilac, Four-Leafed Clover, Variegated Tulip- You are beautiful; the first I've ever loved. I want to be yours; please be mine. 




No comments:

Post a Comment