Read More Here!

Friday, June 9, 2023

What I've Read 6 Months Into 2023


Popping in for a quick little list of what I've read so far in 2023! My reading goals for the year were, simply, to read actual books more. For the past few years, I've read approximately 20 books a year with the vast majority being audiobooks. While I love an audiobook, I wanted to reconnect with the enjoyment of laying on the couch and cracking open a real, paper book. I also wanted to tackle longer books and get back to reading fiction. I'm a self-help junkie, and while I always will love a book like that, I'm on a quest to reconnect with my ability to do things for pleasure and reading more fiction ties into that. My third goal (that I've been woefully lax about) was to third at least 12 books of poetry. Right now I'm at two (but two more than last year!). Here's the list:

Fifty Days of Solitude by Doris Grumbach. This was shelved in poetry at my library even though it isn't really poetry, more like very literary, wandering mini essays. I loved it though! It's the kind of good reading you can't rush and was perfect for winter. 

Five Tuesdays in Winter by Lily King. I listened to this short story collection on audio and loved it. After every single story, I was sad it was over only to immediately get into the next story. Definitely a Lily King fan!

The Good Life: Lessons from the World's Longest Scientific Study of Happiness by Robert Waldinger. Another audio read I loved! One I'd recommend to anyone and am excited to return to in future years. 

The Electricity of Every Living Thing: One Woman's Walk with Asperger's by Katherine May. I loved Katherine May's Wintering and this first book of hers is also beautiful, especially as I navigate pursuing my ADHD diagnosis. 

Bargain Bin Rom-Com by Leena Norms. This is a proper poetry collection. I love Leena's Youtube channel and getting to read her writing in a different medium was so fun! Definitely love. 

Bad Vibes Only by Nora McInerny. A quick, fun read. Not my favorite of the year and honestly as an essay collection I think it could have dived a bit deeper, many things seemed surface level. But fun and worth a read!

Spare by Prince Harry. So weird to write the author name like that? Happy I read it, it was by far too long and I do have a lot of criticisms BUT this is a person's real story so like....I didn't read it for the literary value? I need to do a longer post about what I think but I loved Lenna's video, this podcast episode, as well as this essay by the ghostwriter to start. 

How To Keep House While Drowning by K.C. Davis. A great place to start and a valuable book! I'd recommend KC's podcast as well. 

Writer's and Lovers by Lily King. Lily King for the win! Her writing is just so immaculate and the characters just pull me right in. It reminded me a lot of Sue Miller's writing, so anyone who's into introspective, character-driven novels of with a throughline of women going through a life change? I can't get enough!

The Bandit Queens by Parini Shroff. Favorite read of the year I think! The plot, characters, and pace of this book were so quick and engaging that I could not stop reading it. I read it on vacation over like four days and it was amazing. Laugh out loud funny, while also working with extremely hard-hitting topics like racism, classism, and domestic violence. I haven't stopped thinking about it and will be rushing to read whatever Shroff writes next. 

Angelika Frankenstein Makes Her Match by Sally Thorne. Cute, steamy, funny....not the best writing by any means and if it was any longer I think the dialogue would have made me unable to finish, but a cute vacation read if you want something brainless with a great sex scene. 

My current reads: I am still plugging along through Middlemarch, and listening to the literary disco Middlemarch from 2020 alongside it. I'm also in the middle of A Better Man (Chief Inspector Gamache) by Louise Penny, How To Love by Thich Nhat Hanh, and A Radical Guide For Women with ADHD by Sari Solden. Also technically in the middle of The Incredible Journey of Plants by Stefano Mancuso, though I haven't picked that up in a while. I'm also listening to Trespasses by Louise Kennedy.

Once I work my way through at least a few more of those, I'm looking forward to picking of The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell and Radically Content by Jamie Varon. What have you been reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment