Read More Here!

Friday, December 13, 2013

Thoreau-ly

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, and when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -Henry David Thoreau

I've been reading some Emerson and Thoreau this past week. Both were transcendentalists, believing that God was not the highest power and that instead nature was. While I totally disagree with the majority of their beliefs, as I read on, I found quite a few things I identified with. So much of what they say is simply about simplifying and striving to be unique. At the end of our lives, don't we all want to know that we have lived?

The whole internet addiction and living deliberately conversation has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm a pretty lazy person, but I'm also always dissatisfied with being lazy. I want to do things, read things, accomplish things. And yet, I can't always convince myself of that and I end up scrolling through Pinterest instead. When there's something I don't want to do, I procrastinate on it and don't start until the last possible second. I don't work hard enough. My life isn't on the internet, but honestly, there are days when all I do is skate and read blogs.

I love what Shay said. She hit a home-run on so many points. This next week, I'm going to try harder to be more deliberate with my time. To make more time for reading, exercising, stretching, studying, and writing. To talk with friends more. To clean the house and finish decorating. I want too much from life to scroll through Pinterest all the time.

I'm searching to simplify and do bigger things all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment