Read More Here!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Straight From The Page: Plain Old Common Sense

Hello all! Remember on Friday when I posted a favorite poem from The Fellowship of the Ring? Well, I had a lot of fun sharing that, so I think I'll make it sort of a weekly thing. :) Every Tuesday, I'll share what books I'm reading, how far a long I am, and a favorite excerpt! We'll call it Straight From the Page. If you'd like, feel free to join in and leave a link in the comments. It's all about spreading the book love, after all!

I'm currently in the middle of three books...


Glen Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government Inspired by Thomas Paine is so insightful and fun to read! I love that Glen Beck's writing style is very similar to his radio-host-style, which makes it very engaging.

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien is reaffirming it's place as a favorite. I love reading through and thinking of things differently than I did last time I read it!

Screenwriting For Teens: The 100 Principles of Screenwriting Every Budding Writer Must Know by Christina Hamlett has been slow going, but still good. I can't wait to use these principles while writing fun scripts for the cousins!

"So, the government isn't anti-gun, but, by their constant introduction of new regulations and arduous requirements, they seem to be anti-YOU owning a gun. 

The way the flawed logic in Washington apparently works is that if you're protecting federal property or providing security to government employees, our government wants to make sure you have access to a gun. But if you want that same gun to protect your family and home, our government treats you like a common criminal.

I urge you to remember that the power of government is limited to the power that we have lent it. It cannot have any power that we as citizens do not have. If government claims for itself the right to defend its property and people through the use of arms, then common sense tells us that we must also have the same right. Rights come from God to us and we lend them to government. We must never allow them to convince us that our rights come from them."

-Glen Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government Inspired by Thomas Paine, page 77-78.

Thanks for reading! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up your post on the Sharing Our Bookshelves event. Sounds like a great collection of books that you're reading. The screenwriting especially sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete