Read More Here!

Saturday, June 1, 2013

My Informal Summer Reading List

Summer has finally arrived! She may have taken her sweet time in getting here, but now she's in with a bang. :) Last Friday (5/24) we broke the record here in New Hampshire for the coldest temperature that day in recorded history (it was in the low 40's). Just yesterday, we broke the record for the highest temperature on that day in history (93 degrees!)! Just goes to show the old saying's true; if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute.

One of my favorite things about summer is the long stretches of uninterrupted reading time. I always have my books with me, whether we're lake-side, camping, or hiding out with the AC.

Going into this year, one of my goals was to branch out with my reading. Though I've always been an avid reader, I usually end up sticking to my favorite genres. But there is so much more out there! I've tried to branch out a bit, like reading John Green for the first time and exploring the western genre. I can't wait for more fun reads this summer!

(via)
So, here's my very informal, scatterbrained list of what I'd like to read this summer. It's full of old favorites, new titles, and books that have sat in the 'to-read' pile for far too long. Enjoy!

I need more mystery. I plan to pick up series like Tommy and Tuppence, or Miss Marple by Agatha Christie again. And let's not forget about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. It's high time I re-read those.

More Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer. Because the very best times to read Bloody Jack is in the middle of winter when everything's boring, or in the summer when pirate stories seem the most appropriate.

I'm going to read the last two Squire's Tales by Gerald Morris (sob!). I'll be sad to see them go (that was an understatement. I'll be heartbroken.), but right now I can't stop thinking about them...

Tolkien. Simple as that. I'm re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring right now for the 3rd time (I think....). By the end of the year, I'm hoping to have read The Two Towers (3rd time...), The Return of the King (2nd time), The Hobbit (5th? 6th?), The Children of Hurin (never read it!), Untold tales (never read it!), and The Silmarillion (never read it!). If I could finish several of those before the end of the summer, I would be a very happy Hobbit.

I want to read some of Glen Beck's books. Particularly Glen Beck's Common Sense, or Arguing with Idiots. While working through a course in government, I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed reading the articles on current politics. I already love his radio show, and I'd be curious to try reading something political!

There are other non-fiction titles that have been catching my eye recently, as well. Particularly Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex and Brett Harris, and How To Be A Hepburn In A Hilton World by Jordan Christy.

I need to read more Jane Austen. Because there is far too little of it in my life. Right now, I'm particularly interested in Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice.

And how could it possibly be summer without a delightful paperback romance? I'm particularly interested in Fireproof by Eric Wilson. And I'd love to read another John Green book. Paper Towns, perhaps?

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzergald and To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee are two classics that have yet alluded me. Maybe this will be the summer!

After ages of my friend Deanna trying to get me to read them, I'm going to make this the time I pick up The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron. I love the Arthurian genre, and maybe this will help take away a bit of the pang of finishing The Squire's Tales.

I love Goodreads (friend me!). I can't wait to read some of their recommendations: The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin, The Typewriter Girl by Allison Atlee, and The Agency series by Y.S. Lee.

As if this already wasn't a list and a half, there are a couple fairly popular books I'm curious to check out. Mainly, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

Whew, did I miss anything? :) Needless to say, I'm so excited that the season of page turners has arrived! How about you? What's on your summer reading list? Ever read any of these titles?

Thanks for reading! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment