Read More Here!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"For The Betterment of Her Mind'

"For the betterment of her mind, through extensive reading." Mr. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice

Well, December's here and Christmas is on it's way! Unfortunately we haven't had much time to get the house decorated...my mum and I were down in Georgia for National 4H Congress (so much fun!) the week after Thanksgiving, then once we got back it was all enjoying a surprise visit from my great aunt and uncle, preparing for a Christmas Ice Show, and doing last minute preparations for our 4H club's craft fair...whew! So, needless to say, not much has been done yet in terms of getting the house all festive. :( Mum and I have made plans for decorating on Saturday, though, which is very exciting! 

Today I wanted to share with you an idea for a reading list....or actually reading challenge, I suppose...that I've been mulling over since early fall. This year for lit class, we've been doing a 1/2 year of Shakespeare. Soon, though, we'll be switching to  creative writing. That will give me lots more free time with my reading (something I'm really excited about!). I don't want to just quit reading classics for the rest of the year,  though. So, I've been putting together a list of books that  I've never read but are still considered by many to be classics. My plan is to read one a month right up until September of 2013. After I read it, I'll do a quick write up post about it, and maybe even start some discussion if anyone else has read it. Speaking of which, if anyone wants to join in and read a couple books, you're more than welcome to! I would love to talk about our different opinions on the writing. :)

This 'reading challenge' is going to be very loose and fun.....the only requirement is that I read one a month. I'll pick the books depending on my mood at the time (and their availability!). Once I start reading, I'm going to allow myself to take as much time as I need on a certain book...some are quite long, after all! :)

Aside from this list, I'm also still going to do a lot of my free reading, so keep your eyes out for additional book posts other than this 'For the Betterment of Her Mind' series. 

So without further ado, here is the list (in no particular order):

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
To Serve Man by Damon Knight
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
A Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

I'm really excited to start this! Technically I'm going to begin in January.....our last lit read is this week, but I'd really like to relax and have fun reading Christmas stories for the rest of December. :) I'm thinking of doing How To Serve Man or Pride and Prejudice first, though...any suggestions? 

If any of you are interested in doing this list with me, please comment! 

Thanks for Reading! All be back soon with lots of pictures from the past couple of days, and hopefully some Christmas stuff! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment