Read More Here!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sweet Summertime: Iced Tea

My No. 1 go-to thirst quencher during the summer months is definitely iced tea. But not just any iced tea; my grandmother's unsweetened homemade iced tea, made just like my great-grandmother used to make it.  As you can probably already tell, it's a family favorite. And since my grandmother lives with us, I always stop in at her kitchen for a glass after working outside.

My grandmother is from the midwest, but moved here in the 1970's, since my grandfather was in the Air Force. My dad's family has always been here, moving from Quebec to Vermont and then New Hampshire. So, New England roots run pretty deep in this family. That's probably why we like this tea. It has absolutely no sweetener! I was talking with one of my friends, whose from the south, and he can't believe that I drink it. "Get some sweet tea, REAL sweet tea.'" he says. But, well, that's simply not the New England way! Plus I've never much cared for McDonalds sweet tea, so I can't say I'd care for the real thing. Nope, I'm more of the homemade practicality type when it comes to food. 

Anyway, without further ado, here's the recipe for my grandmother's fantastic tea! It's absolutely the perfect thing to keep in the fridge during heat blasts.

Grandma Joyce's Unsweetened Iced Tea:
Ingredients and Supplies:
4 Tea Bags.
Water.
Pitcher.
Sauce Pan or Kettle.
Ice.

Steps:

1. Begin by filling your pitcher with water. Once you have filled it to the desired amount, pour water into the sauce pan.
2. Next, add your tea bags to the water and boil until the tea has brewed.

3. Fill pitcher with some ice cubes. Pour hot tea over ice, allow to cool in fridge for awhile. Keep chilled and and enjoy a refreshing sip all day! 

Isn't that easy? When my grandma told me how to make it, I had to ask her why she put the ice cubes in first. "Oh, I don't know," she said, "My mother just always told me that pouring it over the ice makes it taste better." So, that's why we do it in that order. I don't know if it's true, but I trust my great-grandmother knew what she was talking about.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and stay cool!



Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment