Read More Here!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Never Apologize For Being Geeky


Welcome back to Day 18 of the July Everday Geek Challenge! Today's prompt is 'never apologize for being nerdy/geeky'. I'm really excited to spin off some things I talked about in this post. As always, don't forget to check out Dia's blog for her take.

Traditionally, being geeky has been viewed as a 'boy thing'. Over the past few years, the Girl Geek community has gotten a lot more loud. But with that, comes a whole new community of Fake Geek Girls.

We've already discussed being 'geeky enough'. About how sometimes, geek girls are challenged as to whether or not they're 'real geeks' because they may or may not know every fact about something. While a guy might say 'you know, I'm not a huge Firefly fan but I enjoy it', and is accepted for liking a show but not being as obsessed as some, he won't have his geek-card challenged. But a girl saying the exact same thing will.

I've been told a lot lately that I shouldn't call myself a geek, because I'm not 'as geeky' as someone else.

And yes, I agree. There are people who define themselves a lot more geeky than me. People who know a lot more facts. And who read/watch more than I do.

But I'm not going to apologize for that.

I love the Lord of the Rings, but I admit I haven't read The Salmarillion, The Children of Hurin, or Untold Tales of Numenor yet.

I've never watched an anime. But I skated to the theme song from one this year.

I watched a lot of the original Superman cartoons as a little kid, obsess over the artwork (and the Wonder Woman artwork), but have never seen any of the actual movies.

I like sci-fi stuff, in the form of the X-Files and Firefly. I've been considering getting into Star Wars, but haven't 'committed' yet.

I love Sherlock, but haven't watched the episodes since the last season came out.

I'm not going to apologize for my level of liking things. There are non-geeky things I totally geek out about....spin combos, Jane Austen quotes, vintage clothes....and there are typically 'geeky' things that I really love. But I'm not going to pretend to be into the geeky things that I don't actually care about, just to keep a geeky persona.

I'll geek out about what I geek out about. And love what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment