Read More Here!

Saturday, February 21, 2015

I'm Just Overthinking About Songs and Movies and Pixar Shorts

{here}
I have the tendency to find a little thing (usually ages after everyone else has discovered it).

And that little thing will remind me of lots of other little things.

And the little things make me think of bigger things. Deep things.

And then I find that the little things reveal major life truths about the big things.

And maybe, that's why we have the little things. 'Cause it's the only way we'll understand the big things.

Or, I could just be crazy, and the little things are just little things, and I'm over-thinking, as usual.

But it still happens.

I've been listening to Bad Day by Daniel Powter on repeat for the last two weeks.

I love everything about it. In a round-about way, it reminds me of the Pixar short The Paperman.

And in a more round-about way, it reminds me of You've Got Mail. Specifically this scene and this scene.

And it's these little things that put into words a lot of what I want, and what I believe, and how the world works. Things I couldn't really express without a lyric/short/romantic comedy to help me out.

I think it's easy to fall into the "I hate people" trap. I know it's me and Deanna's favorite saying. But, I think what I mean is that I hate the fakers. The people who are rude, and thoughtless. The lazy people. The cliches. The boring people, who refuse to be their own selves and therefore refuse to be interesting.

Because I really do love people. I love it when people are unapologetically themselves. I love it when people are tough, and pushing their limits, and so busy working hard and creating awesome lives that they don't even realize how cool they are.

I love it when people allow themselves to feel things, because I think that's one of the biggest problems of our era--we allow ourselves to get worked up over the little things, and numb the big things. We're either rushing, or wasting our lives being lazy. Noticing someone's smudged makeup, but not noticing they're upset. Why can't we get it right? Why can't we hustle and make time to just sit and talk? Why can't see the important little things, and be blind to the unimportant little things?

I think it's easy to look like we're functioning. To keep moving and crossing off tasks. Like the people in the Bad Day music video, we're fine--but, something's missing. It doesn't even have to be a someone. We're just off.

This, honestly, is what I'm thinking during that song/short/movie.

I'm thinking that even when we're on the right path, we'll still have our doubts and insecurities. I'm thinking that having hope, and faith, is the only way to live. And that we must always be looking around us, even if we don't like what we see.

I'm thinking that having core values, topped with passion, and a bit of spontaneity, is the best way to live.

That even when we're really happy, we might be a little bit sad.

That the smallest interactions, the 'nothings', can often be more important than the 'somethings'.

And I'm thinking that being completely yourself is the most important thing. That soulmates are real. And that love and loyalty are my favorite emotions.

Happy Saturday! xoxo

1 comment: