Read More Here!

Sunday, January 26, 2014

TYG: Skating Goals.

print matching polka dots pencil skirt outfit ll Young Yankee Lady

I've talked about Disney on Ice before, but lately I've been going through another phase of feeling confused. The thing about skating, is it produces really young athletes. And with that in mind, I sometimes feel like I'm a bit of a late-bloomer skating wise.

I always feel like I'm on such a time-crunch. The goal of skating with Disney on Ice is a rather time-sensitive one: it has to happen between high school and college. Because it seems like there's such a limited 'window', I get scared. What if I don't get it? What then? What will I possibly do with myself, if it doesn't include skating for Disney?

print matching polka dots pencil skirt outfit ll Young Yankee Lady

But yesterday, I had a really good talk with my coach. I just laid it on the table and told her what's been bothering me. And she definitely put some things in perspective for me.

Getting into Disney would be absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the best things that will ever happen to me. The experience will be amazing, the traveling, the skating...but, it's not the only way skating can be in my adult life. Like my coach said, skating doesn't end when I turn 18. Even if I don't get into Disney, skating isn't over. There's collegiate competing, NY Theater on Ice, Royal Caribbean Cruise. There's a million outlets for me to have the time to skate, and enjoy, and keep improving.

print matching polka dots pencil skirt outfit ll Young Yankee Lady

In a way, I feel really at peace and rejuvenated. I know the butterflies will come back, that I'll still worry, but frankly, that's okay. I would be more worried if I wasn't a little nervous, because that would mean I didn't really want it. But this afternoon, I just feel content. Everything works out in the end, after all.

Skating will always be a part of my life; an ever growing part. Each year has led me to work harder, do more, improve, and mentally re-commit. When I started taking private lessons 'way back' when I was 13, I thought I was so dedicated. Looking back, though, I laugh because I was still only skating 2-3 times a week, tops. Now, I stretch multiple times day, skate five days a week for two hour sessions, have more lessons with my coach, do off-ice training, and eat better. While I still know I have a long way to go, this afternoon, I'm just really proud of how far I've come.

What am I proudest of, though? The fact that I'm ready. I'm ready to practice harder, talk with my coach more, off-ice train. I'm ready to stop procrastinating on school so that I have time for skating, ready to sacrifice for my sport. And yes, I know it won't be easy, or all roses. But it's what I want and I know I can trust myself to do everything in my power to get there.

print matching polka dots pencil skirt outfit ll Young Yankee Lady

Half of the reason I love Pinterest is my quotes board. Every time I need a boost, I scroll through some of those pins and feel all inspired. Lately, I've been loving this one by Steve Jobs:

"People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on. But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I'm actually as proud of the things we haven't done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things."

So true, right? I'm at a point in my life where nothing (NOTHING) means as much to me as skating. Focusing on it means saying no to distractions. Or how about this one from F. Scott Fitgerald:

"For what it's worth, it's never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you're proud of, and if you find that you aren't, I hope you have the strength to start over."

Or this one, from none other than Albert Einstein:

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts."

And last but never least, words from the amazing Coco Channel:

"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."

I can't wait for Monday. To start a new week, and this time, to really rock it. I feel like I'm on the right path, and now I'm trusting myself to take the chances to keep me moving forward. I've been talking skating, but what do you want to accomplish? What dream are chasing down?

print matching polka dots pencil skirt outfit ll Young Yankee Lady

Outfit Details: scarf / / gift, top / / old navy, belt / / came with another dress, pencil skirt / / thrifted, nylons / / probably walmart, heels / / thrifted.

Stalk these pieces: pencil skirt: #1, heels: #1, belt: #1, #2, #3, #4.

PS: Linking up to Watch What I'm Wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment