Read More Here!

Monday, October 14, 2013

I assume I'm a hard-hearted, uncaring person since I didn't cry during 'The Fault in Our Stars'...

{via}
This post contains mild spoilers for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Strangely enough, it doesn't have any for The Fault In Our Stars. You've been warned.

This past spring, I checked out The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I head heard so much about it, was starving for something new, and wanted to give contemporary fiction a second chance (in case you hadn't noticed, I don't read that genre very often). I enjoyed John Green's confidently nerdy persona, and I'd heard his writing style was practically modern Shakespeare. One of our awesome town librarians, Dave, said 'you must return this book with a five page essay on why it's awesome.'

I was obviously excited.

I read it in under a week. And it was good. Not great, mind, but definitely worthy of the italics. The characters were deep, the plot fantastic, and yes, his writing is very good. I believe John Green to be far superior than a lot of other YA writers at the moment. His books are definitely worth a read.

All that being said, I didn't cry. At all. I didn't even feel sad, really. Which I suppose is really, really terrible of me. Everyone else I know who has read it is in absolute tears by the end, and considers it one of the saddest book moments of their lives. But it really didn't do it for me. I don't know why, but I was not moved to tears. The book wasn't great. It was a solid good, but not much more.

I cry every time Boromir dies. I pitifully blubber when Bilbo is informed of Throin's, Fili's, and Kili's deaths. The Boston Jane series put me through major emotional trauma. I feel painfully sorry for Frankenstein. So don't go thinking I don't get emotionally invested in books.

Sorry Nerd Fighteria, sorry John Green, sorry YA fans and the people who rate the New York Times Bestsellers. It wasn't my book. You probably now think of me as an unemotional, Vulcan stoic. So be it.

When was the last time you cried during a book?

7 comments:

  1. Actually I cried at a book pretty recently, but it was a Holocaust romance...but you know what, I'm not a big John Green fan. He kind of annoys me, and I haven't read Fault, and probably that makes me a terrible person. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Holocaust romance probably deserves more tears than Fault! Yeah, I really liked his writing style, but his vulgarity can be annoying. Not rushing out to read his other books, but still a good author. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      ~Gillian

      Delete
  2. I can't remember the last book I cried at, but 'Where The Red Fern Grows' gets me every time, even though I know it's coming. 'The Incredible Journey' also makes me cry, though for a different reason. I guess animal books just make me cry at the ends... ('Old Yeller', 'Cracker', etc.)

    I haven't read Fault either...

    -Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Incredible Journey is so sad! I even cry during the movie. :)

      ~Gillian

      Delete
  3. TFiOS is good and I did feel sad, but I didn't cry. To be honest, I preferred Paper Towns to TFiOS.
    Actually, out of all of his books, it IS the least vulgar. Try Paper Towns sometime, but the others aren't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TFiOS didn't make me cry, but I did feel sad. You should try out Paper Towns (which was my favorite), but just so you know, TFiOS is the least vulgar of all of John's books. You probably should veer away from the rest of his books.
    I love him, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured Fault was probably pretty mild, given what I've heard. You have me wanting to try Paper Towns, though...I do like his writing style enough to read more. :)

      Thanks for following!

      ~Gillian

      Delete