Read More Here!

Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Monsters Inside Me Top


This week, my mum pointed out to me that when I'm stressed, I'm an absolute bear to be around. And she's right. When I get stressed out, I get really whiny. I complain about everything, get mad when people agree how horrible the situation is, and get mad when people try to be comforting. I stomp and slam things and my voice goes up three octaves. And I can't be alone. I follow people from room to room so I can let them share in my misery.

And this is why you should all be very thankful that you only know me through my blog.

Anyway, I should probably go back to the beginning and tell you why I was so stressed. In the 4-H world, it's Fashion Revue time! The yearly sewing event is genuinely a great time to learn skills and create something fun for your wardrobe, and it's always looked forward to. BUT. Seeing that in 4-H we 'make the best better', and that usually translates into doing something more challenging every year, the actual execution can be frazzling.

And now, we come to the top.

I was about to fall over, btw, I'm not just randomly clutching the wall...
Originally, I was going to make a dress. A cute, cotton wiggle dress that was light and polished and perfect for summer. Given my nit-picky idealism, however, I simply couldn't find an acceptable shift dress pattern. So, I happily bought a full skirted dress pattern, that also came with a peplum top version, and decided to use the bodice and then draft a pencil skirt to go with it. Simple!

Well, on Tuesday (because, let's face it: I didn't start seriously sewing this until Monday), I connected bodice to skirt and inserted the zipper and had Mum zip it up. Then, I trotted off to the mirror to admire my work. Mom quietly sat there, allowing me to live in delusion for a few more seconds.

It was horrible.

It didn't fit. At all. The back was too big, and the front darts were the most unflattering things ever. The zipper was sort-of-ish okay, but not great, and it bunched across my middle back all weird. Obviously, something had to change.

After crying, eating chocolate, bemoaning my existence, and then video chatting with Dia, I decided to scrap the dress and switch to the peplum top. After a while two minutes, I convinced myself that the top would be more versatile anyway, that it would go together in a snap, and I would look incredible. Everything was right with the world.

Basically, this brings me back to the thinking that I like the idea of sewing a lot more than I like actual sewing. Beyond that, though, is this weird combination of traits I seem to posess: I'm idealistic when making plans (as in I don't consider silly things like skill level), and while I won't be happy with something unless it's perfect, I very seldom stick with something until it's perfect. Not everything's like that, but sewing is, and therefore I dig my own grave every single year.

So next time I go on a pattern-pinning spree, or post a list of sewing ideas, stop me. Scream at me. Lock me up. Or at the very least, remind me of last year. Heaven knows that that was a nightmare and a half.


Through all of that, though. I still really love my top. It's cute and peppy and bright, all things I've considered lacking in my wardrobe (anyone else notice that I usually dress like a mourning accountant?!). I love the lining and the peplum, and can't wait to layer it with cardigans and blazers and pair it with pencil skirts and shorts. The only thing I need to change is the strap length (bit too loose...), but that's an easy fix and then I would DARE to call this top perfect. Or, at least perfectly wearable. Which is all I need.

Plus, sewing with Dia and then going through judging together was amazing. It felt like we were back in those crazy two years where we did everything together and our lives consisted of nothing but 4-H. :) Love you, sister dearest! Heaven knows this wouldn't have happened without you!

PS-while I named this top the 'monsters inside me top' because of the inner villainous Gillian that leaps out during times of stressful sewing, it also reminds of Monsters Inc. Because it's blue. That's pretty much the only similarity, but still.


The top: Burda Young 7054, mix of views B and C. 100% Cotton. Just as a quick note, I added my own lining, and HIGHLY recommend it. Also, the side bust darts needed some major re-working to fit me, as did the back. Just something to think about. :)

Also wearing: cardiagn / / jc penny's, belt / / jc penny's (came with another dress), pencil skirt / / thrifted, heels / / thrifted, headband / / fair, necklace / / heirloom.

Previously worn: skirt: #1, #2.

2 comments: