Read More Here!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Straight From The Page: Road Trip Checklist

This marks the first time I almost forgot to do a Straight From The Page post. I was on my way to skating and finally remembered. You're welcome. :)

(Invisible book-stack picture. Just imagine it's here, piled high).

For several reasons, reading's been a little slow lately. Which is quite sad, but unavoidable. But! Our family is leaving for Missouri on Saturday, and the 24-hour-straight-through car ride will provide plenty of reading time! My Mum's originally from MO, we just ended up here because of my grandfather being the the Air Force. We're riding out in my uncle's mini-bus, with my Uncle Lleldan, Mum, Brother AJ, Cousins Lily and Ena, and Grandma. We have loads of stuff planned, and I can't wait to share with you. :)

Quick update about my current reads....I've got only 1 1/2 chapters left in The Fellowship of the Ring (psyched!) and I've finished Glen Beck's Common Sense! Rather than bore you guys with books that I've already over-mentioned, though, I thought I'd share the books I'm planning on traveling with. :)


An Assembly Such As This by Pamela Aidan. I. Cannot. Wait. I don't usually go in for spin-offs, but I have a hunch this one will be good. Go ahead, accuse me of judging a book by it's cover, but I will immediately respect anyone who thinks to title a book 'An Assembly Such As This'. Such a great line!


In The Belly of the Bloodhound by L.A. Meyer. Bloody Jack is calling me name! Yes, these books aren't for everyone. Yes, there is unabashed vulgarity. The type of vulgarity that can only be forgiven by a stellar book. And that's exactly what Bloody Jacks are. They are definitely the best adventure books I've ever read, and rank pretty high on the best-books-ever list, too. I plan on doing a proper review of them soon, but in the meantime, jump ahead of me and start reading.


The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. This is one of the two audio books I'm putting on my MP3. I'm roughly half-way through it, and can't wait to finish it up. :) Nothing beats a good Agatha Christie! Tommy and Tuppence are the perfect 20's couple. I love that Agatha Christie's mysteries bring the perfect balance of a light-hearted, easy read, complete with a well thought mystery and always at least one true scare. She is the best!


The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I have technically already read this. I got up to book 3 in the series, but got bored and never finished them up. My brother, though, swears by these books. He's finally talked me into giving them another go, so I'll be downloading this onto my MP3 as well. I remember the Percy Jackson series to be funny yet well written, so I'm thinking I might enjoy it.

And here is our absolutely-no-revelance-to-what-we've-been-discussing-quote:

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king."

-The Fellowship of the Ring, Book I, Chapter X.


No comments:

Post a Comment