Read More Here!

Monday, October 19, 2015

Sunday Afternoon Shopping Roadtrip


This week and next there's a mini-break from the TOI practices that usually fill my Sunday afternoons, so I knew I wanted to go all Sunday-vibe on them and do something fun, relaxing, and out of the ordinary.

When we were visiting family in Missouri this summer, we went shopping at a Plato's Closet in Kansas City. I'd never heard of this store before, but fell in love the moment we walked in! It's a trendy consignment store geared specifically for teens/20-somethings, and honestly, the stuff is just fun. It's bright and weird and cool, and they curate from better brands, if you're into that sort of thing. It is so NOT thrifting. There's not much digging, it's not dirt cheap, and all their stuff is curated with their brand in mind. But! It's so fun to be able to hunt for more unique pieces that are still current.

Anyways, so we went to this shop in Missouri and had a blast, and spent most of the car ride home bemoaning that we don't have them in New Hampshire. But my cousin did some searching, and she found out we do have one in Maine, just about an hour from us! So yesterday afternoon, me and my cousins Lily and Ena piled into my car for a girl's shopping roadtrip.

I went in with some specifics to look for: jeans (because I literally have two pairs, one of which is out of commission right now), tops (NOT sweaters! Tops!), and cool, edgy combat boot things. I did end up with one pair of jeans, and a top after we hit up Old Navy, but alas my edgy combat boots evaded me. Everything that I liked style wise was a size 6, and it's been quite a while since my foot was a size 6. *sighs*

Here's what I made out with!


This sun dress was from our Old Navy stop. I found it on the clearance rack (because the clearance section is my favorite part of Old Navy), but it didn't have a tag on it. I asked someone but they couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be, so they just gave it to me for $5! I was wanting an easy-going sundress like this all summer, so I'm excited to have one for next year.


This green top was also from our Old Navy stop. It was only $9, is super soft, and a great shade of green. It's loose and flowy, and I was dancing in it for 30 minutes straight after I tried it on, so that's a good sign.

The jeans are from Plato's Closet. I've been looking for a good pair of ripped jeans, because I've finally started to drop my prissy ways in favor of more edgy looks. These fit well throughout (just need a belt, like usual), are pretty thick jeans to begin with, and the tears are there without being obnoxious, so I'm happy. They were $12.


And THIS outfit. This outfit is why I'll be refusing all social invitations that don't take place outside. I must wear this everywhere.

This is a Plato's leather jacket and it was only $10. I needed an in-between seasons jacket, anyways, and I'd been thinking about a leather one because of my edgy over prissy tendencies right now. I am SO happy with this. I almost didn't buy it! Thankfully my cousin talked me into it!

The whole outfit is a scarf from a fair, thrifted jacket, thrifted jeans, and hand me down boots. My eclectic heart is beating wildly at this. Curated (verses force fed) closets for the win!

We ended the day with dinner at Friendly's. They have good Mozzarella sticks, in case you need suggestions. It's been a while since I talked clothes on the blog, so thanks for indulging me! My new-found minimalist tendencies have actually gotten me interested in curating a perfect closet again, so you'll probably be hearing more about it from now on. I've always thought clothes were important. That they were representations of us and who we wanted to be, and therefore not vain to obsess over.

And with that thought in mind, it is so important that we curate and choose what we buy/wear/keep. Because blindly consuming what's put in front of us in displays is not choosing joy, or making us more confident.

I've been moving from my prissy/preppy ways into edgier, artsier styles. Because I want to live a life that's more open and adventurous. What did your outfit say about you today?

Happy Monday! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment