Read More Here!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Knitting, and the Importance of No-Agenda Hobbies

Hand-knitted, color blocked wool cowl. Talking about knitting and the importance of having stress free, no-agenda hobbies on Young Yankee Lady.

My mom's birthday was yesterday (happy birthday! You're amazing!). I was super excited about her present, not the least because I'm usually pretty lame in the birthday-present department. But this year, I knitted her this gray and green color blocked cowl.

I used a regular knit stitch on super skinny (I'm thinking size 4?) needles. I used wool yarn, and while I hate how long it takes to make progress on skinny needles, I love the super thick knit it provides. So tight and warm! In the end, I thought the switch from gray to green was too abrupt, so I added little black x's as accents to define the change of color more. I'm really happy with how this turned out!

Here's the thing: I'm not a good knitter. I only make cowls and scarves with a basic knit stitch. I tend to make it up as I go along, and my projects are mostly based on what's in my stash. But I derive so much joy from just knitting...and not caring.

Hand-knitted, color blocked wool cowl. Talking about knitting and the importance of having stress free, no-agenda hobbies on Young Yankee Lady.

Everything that I do has a point, has a purpose, has an agenda. Skating's my love, but I'm working on it becoming a career so it's not really just 'for fun'. Yoga is fun but it's also for skating and I try to meet goals with it every week. Writing here, my main not-athletic hobby, is a great release, but I also try to take writing seriously, so I set expectations for myself. But knitting? Just. For. Fun.

I like that I get to do something with my hands while watching TV, or talking to my mom. I like that it's pretty inexpensive (especially when I commit to using stash stuff). I like that if I mess up horribly, I can unravel it and start again. I LOVE that it's a hobby easily learned in pieces; just start with a knit stitch, and the rest comes as you get more curious.

I'm a huge believer in doing what you love and reaching goals and making your life (work included!) something you enjoy doing. But I'm also starting to believe in hobbies that are just that...hobbies. With no expectations, no goals, no guilt, no stress. Just happy distractions from our true passions and priorities.

Hand-knitted, color blocked wool cowl. Talking about knitting and the importance of having stress free, no-agenda hobbies on Young Yankee Lady.

***
I'm just going to be honest and say that I'm already planning stuff for Christmas. This cooler weather gets to me.

From a thrifty standpoint, I'm hoping to knit a lot for Christmas this year, with a focus on using up stash-yarn. I'm excited to share more of what I make on the blog in the coming months! Here's my new project: a stripey scarf in pinks and green (the same green from the cowl, actually!).

Knitting, and the Importance of No-Agenda Hobbies. A post about doing something genuinely 'just for fun' on Young Yankee Lady.

Happy Tuesday! xoxo

PS-Just wanted to let you know that I'm working in my Etsy shop, The Broke Skater, again. It's mostly vintage sewing patterns, dresses, hats and accesories from my full-immersion vintage phase. Everything is priced to move and I would be so grateful if you checked it out! More stuff scheduled to go up this week.

4 comments:

  1. I also love having little hobbies like that--things that can keep my hands busy during a movie or something of that sort. I like making models or embroidery--I would like sewing if I had a machine again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool you embroider! I've always loved how it looks but I've never given it a try. :)

      Delete
  2. I went through a knitting phase and I remember really enjoying it. I love the idea of knitting from your "stash" and just using the scraps. Maybe it's just me, but I find it rewarding to use up all the bits and pieces left over from other projects.

    Anyways, interesting post! They say that it's not a waste of time if you're enjoying yourself:)

    Good luck with your knits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It's so satisfying to use something up.

      Delete