Read More Here!

Sunday, November 15, 2020

A Saturday

 

Yesterday was one of those unremarkable days that was just perfect. Nothing crazy happened, I still did homework and worked a little, but the whole day felt calm, productive, relaxed, and like there was time for everything. 

I got up at 6:30am, let Bear out of his crate, made coffee, and settled in at the kitchen table. I cracked open my laptop, and got through some admin stuff for work I hadn't done on Friday. Then, I checked off a few last minute homework items so I wouldn't have to think about them for the rest of the day. 

Somewhere in the middle of that, Chris got out of bed and started making breakfast. Chris making a fancy breakfast on the weekends has become a sort of quarantine-tradition, and I absolutely love it. He made scrambled egg, cheese, and bacon biscuit sandwiches that were heavenly. We've discovered that the Trader Joe's canned biscuits are the best ones. 

Around 9am, I made myself a cup of post-coffee tea and jumped into the shower. Within the last year, I've become the type of person that never showers without a drink...be it wine, beer, coffee, or seltzer. I always have something propped on the edge of the tub. It's become such a habit that I don't just bring whatever drink I have in with me, I specifically start making one to take into the shower. It's a habit I love. 

After a hot shower, I wrapped my hair in a bun and left for the rink at 9:45am. I'm currently only teaching a quick Learn to Skate session on Saturdays, just a half hour away. I was on the ice at 10:30, and done by 11:10. This particular class has some of the sweetest kids. 

On the way home, I took the backroads and listened to Laura Vanderkam's Off The Clock. I devoured this on audio over the past week, and could really feel her thoughts permeating the way I went about daily life. In the book, she talks about how we all really do have time to feel like happy, whole people. It is possible to have a career, workout, have good family relationships, read, and see friends. She als talks about how a lot of our thoughts about how scarce time is, is really just an attitude. She talked about doing memorable things, and being intentional. I think this book is especially relevant right now, as so many of us are navigating completely new schedules and life situations, and finding it easier to feel sorry ourselves, due to covid. It definitely prompted me to breathe more, call friends, and be grateful for everything this week held. 

I got home around 12pm, and changed. Chris took Bear outside for a quick walk and then at 12:30, we headed downtown for lunch. We sat outside, bundled up in hats and coats, at our favorite local brewery. We split a burger and nachos, people watched, and just chatted. Going out for lunch at a brewery on Saturdays has also been a new quarantine habit. It's fun to not be out late, and to feel like we're avoiding the Saturday night crowd that may be less covid-conscious. We make reservations before we go, so it all feels pretty low contact. I love this tradition, and we've vowed to stay outside as much as possible even as it gets colder. 

After lunch, we headed off to a craft fair. It was so fun to stroll through the vendors. We bought an adorable felt Santa, and a set of clothes pin The Office ornaments. I am so excited to decorate the apartment for Christmas! This fair felt like the beginning of really prepping for the holidays. 

We got home a little after 4pm. Chris took Bear out again (he is totally becoming the primary puppy parent, and I'm so grateful for that). I reviewed some choreography I'm learning for a Christmas show, and cleared some laundry off the floor. After eating a small bowl of soup, I left the house at 6pm. To drive to The Skating Club of Boston, about an hour and a half away, for a rehearsal for that Christmas show. It's a free community show in Boston with Joy Skate Productions, and it's been so much fun to be putting together. On the way, I ended up finishing Off The Clock. The rehearsal was so fun with the rest of the cast, and I started driving home around 9pm. I got home at 10:30, snuggled with Bear, took him for his last walk, and watched some TV with Chris. before heading to bed. 

This Saturday held so many unrushed parts: a fun coaching day, checking homework off my list, going to a craft fair, getting quality time at lunch, and getting to skate with a really inspiring group of peers. It was the rejuvenating mix I needed this weekend. I'm relishing not working all day on Saturdays this season, and preserving pockets of time on the weekend for fun, for work, and for chores. More days like this, please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment