Read More Here!

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Best of the BBC

Time for Day 19 of the July Everyday Geek challenge! Today's prompt is BBC shows and I am SO excited to be sharing my favorites. Don't forget to check out Dia's blog for her picks!

I've been into the BBC for...ages. Even when I was little, I'd sit and watch shows on PBS with Mum every Sunday night. Over the years we've watched and discovered lots of shows, and I'm so excited to be sharing some favorites!

Sherlock Holmes (1984) I've gushed about this show before, but it's too good not to mention. Definitely the best if you want a good, classic, by-the-book mystery. Classic, Mystery, British Fireside Feel.

This is from North and South, but this guy is also in Downton Abbey.
North and South (2004) I'm by far not the biggest North and South fan out there, but it is pretty great. Some would Thornton (played by no other than Richard Armitage) is better than Mr. Darcy, and while I wouldn't go that far, he is pretty dreamy. Classic, Romance, With A Brooding Hero.

Keeping Up Appearances (1990) Another slightly crude but hilarious show, this was my first British 90's TV show. I've seen every episode now, and they're all amazing. Also, Rose is my favorite sister. Judge me. Light, Funny, Sarcastic.

Wives and Daughters (1999) The book this is based on is by Elizabeth Gaskell, who also wrote North and South, but I like this one much better. There are so many great lines, and it's definitely a feel good watch. Sweet, Feel Good, Classic.
And it wasn't me!
As Time Goes By (1992) Another 90's TV Sitcom, I've seen significantly less of these than The Vicar of Dibley or Keeping Up Appearances. I really love the dry humor though, and you just can't not love Judi Dench. Sweet, Feel Good, Dry Wit.

Call The Midwife (2012) A favorite that we didn't discover until this winter, my mum, dad, and I devoured it. It's so full of life, and humanity, and really gives you a whole new outlook. Mum and I had so many conversations inspired by the themes in this show. It's a little taxing emotionally, but definitely worth it. Heart-wrenching, Inspiring, Quote-worthy.

The gorgeous Richard Armitage as Harry in The Vicar of Dibley.
The Vicar of Dibley (1994) Okay, so this is definitely a weird suggestion put next to all the historical fiction romances in here, but it is so. stupidly. funny. A little bit crude, definitely, but freaking hilarious. (Also it has Richard Armitage. So it's a must see) (Also also, Armitage says his role as Harry is most like him in real life, so this is practically getting to know him personally). Roll on the floor hilarious, lovable characters, adorable hero. 

Foyle's War(2002) I saved the best for last! Foyle's War is my mum and I's favorite show, honestly, and we pretty much went into mourning when we finished it. It takes place on home front England during WW2, following Detective Foyle as he investigates at-home murders. They brought back the show for a cold-war version, and while I don't like it as much, it's still pretty good. Also! Fun fact: Anthony Howel, who plays the assistant, Milner, is the same guy who plays in Wives and Daughters. AND it's written by Anthony Horowitz, who's books like The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel and the Alex Rider series, as well as other TV series like Poirot and Midsummer Murders. Hard to guess mysteries, heart wrenching, characters you'll get too attached to. 

What are your favorite BBC shows? I'm always on the lookout for new watches! Don't forget to join the conversation in the comments, in a post, or on facebook, twitter, and tumblr using the hasthag #everydaygeekjuly. Check back tomorrow for Day 20, Disney vs. Pixar. Thanks for reading!


Happy Sunday! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment